Waiting for Mayoral Results.
In January our elected Mayor left his position to take a post under our new Governor Granholm. This left the head of City Council as acting mayor, with an election to fill the remaining years of office held today.
This became an interesting battle. The Acting Mayor was born in Mexico, has been involved in Lansing politics for over thirty years, and is older. English is not his first language and it is apparent. His opponent was just elected to the State Senate, but has decided that being Mayor is his new calling.
I saw the two men at the Chili Cook-off held in the spring. The present Mayor was walking amongst the people with little fanfare. He looked like someone's grandpa. People would walk up to him and speak and then go on their way. The Senator dude was at the head of the entrance to the Chili Cook-off. As we were leaving, he grabbed our hands and asked how the chili was. "I'm just tooo busy to get down there and have some." Did he really think that he was hosting the thing???? (Can you see where my loyalties are???)
Anyway, it's a dead heat now. I guess I'll have to go to bed and see the results in the morning. (Or get back up around 2:00 am and peek.)